The Vermont Human Rights Commission has jurisdiction over allegations of unlawful discrimination in housing, places of public accommodation, and state employment.  If you believe you may have experienced discrimination, please call the Human Rights Commission at 800-416-2010, ext. 25, or fill out and send in a complaint form.  Places of public accommodation include schools, restaurants, stores, professional offices, government agencies and other places offering goods or services to the general public.

If you work for a private employer and believe you may have experienced discrimination, call the Vermont Attorney General's Office Civil Rights Unit at 888-745-9195 or go to their website at www.atg.state.vt.us and click on "Discrimination" in the lefthand column.

Generally, the HRC can only investigate situations in which the most recent incident of possible discrimination occurred within one calendar year of your initial contact with the HRC. However if the discrimination has been ongoing up to the time of report, the HRC may have jurisdiction. The protected categories for each area of jurisdiction are as follows: 

 Protected Category Housing Public Accommodations State Employment
Race X X X
Color X X X
Sex X X X
Religion X X X
National Origin X X X
Disability X X X
Sexual Orientation X X X
Gender Identity X X X
Marital Status X X  
Age X   X
Presence of Minor Children X    
Receipt of Public Assistance X    
Ancestry     X
Place of Birth     X
HIV related blood test     X
Workers' Compensation     X
Family/Parental Leave      X
Breast feeding mother and child   X  
Credit History     X