Skip to main content

In need of legal help?

The Human Rights Commission (HRC) is a state agency with the jurisdiction to investigate discrimination in housing, places of public accommodation, and State government employment. While individuals who wish to file a complaint with the Human Rights Commission do not need legal representation, the HRC frequently receives inquiries about challenging issues that fall outside of our jurisdiction and expertise, and we rely on other agencies and organizations to provide legal support in those areas. And in order to avoid conflicts of interest while fulfilling our mission of investigating and mediating disputes, the HRC must remain neutral and cannot provide individuals with specific legal advice.

Fortunately, there are many resources and referrals that we're able to share. First among them is the Legal Help Website created by Vermont Legal Aid and Legal Services Vermont, where you can find information on a number of topics ranging from Fair Housing, Health, Consumer Issues, Public Benefits, and many more. The website also contains a Legal Help Tool that will walk you step-by-step through your particular question.

If you're unable to find the information you're looking for on the website, you can contact Legal Services Vermont at 1-800-889-2047 or by filling out their online intake form. Their phone lines are open at these times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 8:30am to 1:30pm; Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30am to 4:00pm.