Skip to main content

An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo

Filing a Complaint

The VHRC has jurisdiction over complaints in housing, public accommodations, and state government employment. To confirm whether you fall into one or more of the categories protected under anti-discrimination law, please review our Jurisdiction webpage. 

IMPORTANT: The VHRC is not accepting complaints in state employment or public accommodations at this time. Based on current caseloads and staff availability, we expect to lift this restriction in September 2021. See alternative ways to file a complaint down below.

If you would like to file a complaint of discrimination in housing, please complete the following questionnaire. 

If you would like to inform the VHRC about a act of racism related to Covid-19, or about a violation of Act 127 (Gender-Free Restrooms), please use the online forms below:

If your allegations do not relate to housing, consider filing a complaint through one of the agencies listed below:

If you need legal assistance, please note that the VHRC is a neutral investigatory agency and is unable to represent parties or provide legal advice. You do not need the VHRC to make a determination on your case in order to file in court. If you believe that your case is meritorious, you should seek the advice of an attorney immediately. Please note that your right to file a lawsuit may be time-barred and you should not wait if you wish to pursue litigation.

If you need an attorney and cannot find one, please contact the Vermont Bar Association.